Friday, September 16, 2011

GBBD: September 2011

Phew, only a day late! I don't know where the time goes. I thought September was going to be a relaxing month, but for some weird reason it isn't - and I can't work out why. Or at least, I haven't had time to sit down and work out why!
Anyway, here's the garden. Cannas are in full swing, nasturtiums are still going strong and there are a few other bits and pieces too.

Canna 'Striata' (or 'Pretoria'). These are from Crocus and they are magnificent specimens.

I think this variety of nasturtium is 'Tip Top Apricot'. It's fractionally too peachy for here (I carefully haven't photographed it with the dahlias it clashes with), so I'm making a mental note to grow something more vibrant next year, such as 'Ladybird'.

The campsis, which is still going. Not sure of the cultivar - I think it's grandiflora.

This dear little clematis was a present from my colleague Charlotte, to whom I donated an Ikea sofa that was surplus to requirements. Her mother, who came round to help shift the sofa (who needs men, anyway?) is a keen gardener, which is lucky for me, because she went to Wisley and picked out this Raymond Evison variety, which is called 'Peppermint'. It looks fantastic with this carex, so I think that's where it might have a permanent home.

This is Crocosmia 'Columbus' which has been going for weeks now. The sedum is only just starting to flower, but this is a relatively shady spot.
The next few weeks are going to be hectic, as I have the decorators coming in to do my study, so I may not have much of a chance to sit at my computer. I'm hoping they'll be finished by October GBBD!
Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted by the utterly delightful Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Why not go over there and see what everyone is up to?


11 comments:

Orkneyflowers said...

Really enjoyable,, how gorgeous it all looks! Happy GBBD

Wife, Mother, Gardener said...

Victoria,

Some pretty things here!

I have loved C. Pretoria after seeing it at Dixter... all over the place.

Absolutely drooling over your clematis! Just perfect with the white carex. Oh so nice. It would go smashing with the white frothy aster that I have on my Shade Path (in my GBBD post).

Thank you for sharing!
Happy GBBD,
Julie

organicgardendreams said...

Victoria, the clematis 'Peppermint' is an absolute gem. I have to admit I have some serious envy here. I also admire your cannas, just gorgeous and sooo... tropical. Your garden looks outstanding and I am really in love with it :-)!
Christina

petoskystone said...

stunning cannas! such sweet little clematis. looking at your garden, it's hard to believe that it's september.

CHRISTMAS PIE CRAFTS said...

What a beautiful garden. I love the Cannas - gorgeous colours.

Jill

patientgardener said...

I have never managed to get Canna to flower, in fact I am rubbish at looking after anything exotic so have decided to give up on them.

My Crocosmia didnt flower for very long this year which is a real disappointment but the garden is so very dry as we have hardly had any rain at all

patientgardener said...

Oh and I love that Clematis - have added it to my long list of to get plants

Zoë said...

Still looking very lush. Love the Campis, often tempted by them when I visit Hilliers, but fear they may be a bit exotic for here. Same with the Cannas - fabulous colours - but probably not going to sit well in a cottage garden like mine!

Bertie Bainbridge said...

That clematis is incredible! Enjoyed the story of how it arrived here. Do you mean Campsis radicans? I don’t know this species at all but just looked it up and am fascinated!
Bertie

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Oh, the dreaded color clash! I've had to turn a blind eye on a couple of spots in my garden this summer because of annuals not appearing as I thought they would. Your Cannas are magnificent. I don't grow them because it's too much trouble to try to store them over the winter. I also love that Clematis, and I don't usually go for white flowers.

Hanna at Orchid Care said...

Your clematis is absolutely stunning and I’m green with envy over the fact that yours is so prolific while mind is rather sparse. Could it be due to the fact that mine are of a different species or am I doing something wrong?

In a previous comment someone mentioned clashing of colors. As far as I’m concerned and when it comes to gardening, I don’t believe that there really is such a thing. But maybe my garden esthetics are not as sophisticated as they could be.