Friday, July 29, 2011

Seattle is cool...

I arrived in Seattle on a sunny afternoon, looking down from the plane at a landscape of blue sea and green trees, punctuated by mountains. After nine and a half hours in a 747, I felt the need for a walk, so after checking into the hotel, I wandered along to the shopping mall a couple of blocks away.
The first thing I saw was an Anthropologie store, and the first thing I heard was a live band playing. Everywhere I looked, people wandered in the evening sunshine with smiles on their faces. Seattle was cool, I decided.
The following day, Thursday, bloggers began to drift into town, looking forward to the Seattle fling. I know of no pleasure greater than renewing old friendships, unless it is making new ones. It was such a thrill to see Gail again, and to meet Carol and Robin for the first time.

Here are some more of the group enjoying an al fresco bowl of minestrone (and a cocktail or two) that evening. We were amused to see that the restaurant provided red fleece blankets for its customers if you wanted to sit outside. Yes, this was Seattle - and it was cool!
From left, Leslie, Kathy, Dee, Mary Ann, Carol and Gail.

8 comments:

Fairegarden said...

Dear Victoria, It was such a supreme pleasure to see you again. The little Italian spot was a perfect spot for chatting and catching up. The cocktails weren't bad either.
xxxooo
Frances

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I'm so interested to hear your perspective on Seattle & can't wait for more posts. It was wonderful to finally meet you in person.

Esther Montgomery said...

With bated breath wait for the first full episode.

Esther

Susan Tomlinson said...

Wonderful! Glad you had a good time.

petoskystone said...

so pleased you made it in safely. enjoy!

Darla said...

I, like Mr. McGregor's Daughter, am interested on your take about Seattle. I have enjoyed reading other's thoughts and seeing their photographs from the trip.

Carol said...

Meeting you (and VP) was one of the many highlights of going to Seattle for Fling. What a place! What a great bunch of gardeners.

VP said...

We went to the band playing on Wednesday (the week after) too and I had to keep pinching myself that it was actually happening.